Semardel is a semi-public joint stock company founded in 1984 by the elected representatives of Essonne (France), for the purpose of collecting, treating and recycling all waste and materials in an environment-friendly way, by anticipating regulatory and technical changes in order to ensure the lowest treatment cost for the member communities of Siredom (waste treatment union for 720,000 people and 126 municipalities). This comprehensive service is also available to all other municipalities, communities and companies.
Semardel’s shareholders stem from the public sector (72%) and private sector (28%). The Group has 410 employees and its turnover amounts to €62 million.At present, the Group has waste treatment and collection facilities on its Ecosite of Vert Le Grand covering approximately 300 hectares. Those facilities are held by Semardel’s fully-owned subsidiaries:
- Semardel: the parent company which supports, controls and monitors the subsidiaries. All of the support services are provided by this entity.
- Semariv: a household waste incinerator with a capacity of 220,000 t/year producing electricity (100,000 MWh/year, covering the electricity needs of 70,000 households), an automated mechanical waste sorting facility dedicated to household packaging with a capacity of 43,000 t/year and a clinker treatment platform.
- Semavert: a non-hazardous waste storage facility with a capacity of 220,000 t/ year operating as a bioreactor and allowing greater use of the biogas to provide electricity and heat for the company premises and the evaporation of the leachate produced, a vegetable waste composting facility (40,000 t/year) producing certified organic compost and a wood energy facility (20,000 t/year) aimed at biomass heating systems.
- Semaer: a company dedicated to the collection of household and industrial waste and the operation of waste collection centres.
- Semapro: engineering office providing consulting services to local communities.
As for tomorrow, the strategic policies of the Semardel Group essentially depend on changing regulations (the Grenelle Act for the Environment, the Ile de France regional waste disposal scheme), increasing tax pressure, notably with the general tax on polluting activities (TGAP), social pressure (difficulty in opening storage centres and incinerators), and stiff competition in the waste sector.
The Semardel Group’s Development
It is in that context that the Semardel Group has built its development plan for the next 4 years. This plan is focused on getting the most out of organic and energy-producing materials. Each new facility will be operated by private sub-subsidiaries at least 51% held by Semardel.
- Semaval (sub-subsidiary of Semaer): a modern automated sorting centre for trade waste and large objects, with a capacity of 200,000 t/year, designed to extract re-usable materials (paper, cardboard, plastic, wood and metal) then produce solid recovered fuel (SRF).
- Sematerre (sub-subsidiary of Semavert): platform of waste recovery of buildings.
- Semabio (sub-subsidiary of Semavert): a biogas plant with a capacity of 70,000 t/year aimed at initially producing biogas fuel for the waste collection vehicles, then reinjecting biogas into the GRDF natural gas network. The source concerned is the fermentable fraction of waste from school canteens, agro-food industries, agriculture and animal breeding.
- Semathec (sub-subsidiary of Semariv): pyrogasification unit powered with solid recovered fuel produced by the trade waste sorting facility. The objective is to produce superheated water to be used for urban heating by the Evry Centre Essonne community, thereby reducing taxpayers’ heating expenses. The interest of this technique is a lower capital investment than for an incinerator, a much higher energy yield and minimal land use.
More informations :
- Semardel Group Environment service
- Semaer, the assurance of collection | Household waste and related matter
- Semaer, the assurance of collection | Waste from worksites and economic activities
- Semariv, the assurance of transformation | The automated sorting centre and the energy recovery incinerator
- Semavert, the assurance of transformation | the composting platform
- Semavert, the assurance of transformation | the wood platform
- Semavert, the assurance of transformation | a nonhazardous ultimate waste storage plant in bioreactor mode
- Semapro, the assurance of performance | expertise, consultancy and engineering services
- Carbon Footprint Semardels issues
- Better recycling of trade and construction activities’ waste